No one should be lonely in old age
This is Silbernetz’s mission. It assists older people in Germany in getting back in touch with others.
Silbernetz offers older people who feel lonely help throughout Germany. It offers three types of services to signpost ways out of isolation:
On the Silbertelefon 0800 4 70 80 90 in order to simply have a chat when needed, with Silbernetz-Friends who call ’their’ older persons regularly at a specific time agreed and accompany them as they take their first steps out of isolation as well as with Silberinfo, which provides information on services for older people.
Silbernetz is a non-profit association. The network against loneliness was founded in 2014 in Berlin, Germany.
Three levels of contact at Silbernetz
Silbertelefon: simply have a chat when needed
- On 0800 4 70 80 90 Silbernetz offers a sympathetic ear to anyone aged 60 and over.
- Available from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
- You don’t need to be in trouble to call – it’s enough to just feel like talking.
- The conversation is anonymous, confidential and free of charge.
- The staff at the Silbertelefon listen to, sympathize with and encourage the caller and may provide initial information.
- The Silbertelefon also accepts requests for a Silbernetz-Friendship.
Silbernetz-Friends: regular telephone conversations with a familiar person
- Once a week at an agreed time volunteer Silbernetz-Friends call ’their’ elderly person for about an hour. This means personal contact and confidential conversation – regularly and reliably.
- The Silbernetz Friends listen and take an active interest. They can encourage people to take first steps out of their isolation and may provide information about suitable local services.
- Anyone interested in getting a Silbernetz-Friend can call the Silbertelefon on 0800 4 70 80 90 directly.
Silberinfo: information on offers in the vicinity
- Silbernetz provides callers with information on basic offers of assistance for the elderly in the German federal states and local communities as well as specific information on local offers for callers from Berlin.
- Silbernetz cooperates with the providers of local and regional services for the elderly and also aims at supporting the maintenance of regional databases on assistance for the elderly in the future.
- This way Silbernetz acts as a door opener to local services.